Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Rembetika is the soul of Greece

Rembetika is the soul of Greece like Tango is the soul of Argentina . We are brothers and sisters with so much in common and our connections are very close.

These are the words of the above song by Haris Alexiou

I want to drink tonight so as nothing to remember I want to trap myself in smoke and fear no consequences I want to drink tonight and surpass my limits I want to confess my lost dreams covered in smoke's veil . I'll light up with cigarettes and burn out with liquor Now that I've taken fright may everything turn into ashes. I want to drink tonight to erase everything and everyone I want to disappear in smoke and never look back again.

All my Greek and Argentinian readers please leave me your thoughts about this song


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To describe this song, the only word that seems fitting to me is the ancient Greek δεινοσ (deinos): beautiful, frightening, wonderful, awe-inspiring, terrible, marvelous, etc. The words and music come together so powerfully in Haroula's performance that the video only detracts from the experience -- smiles do not belong with a song that seeks oblivion after a devastating loss. It makes me shiver, like the sight of Helen to the elders of Troy, and it makes me weep because I too have sought to blot out an unbearable pain.

12:28 PM  
Blogger mafrasta said...

Hy... I write you now from naples, in Italy... I was looking ofr informations about greek community in argentina, for a fellowship in Melbourne... My father is Greek, from Rhodes, and I dance tango... I danced this song too, in Thessaloniki one time... I remember the flavour and sound of that tango, in the darkness of a 'fin de siècle' milonga... When I found you blog I thought: 'What a little is the world', but when I red this post I had the feeling of the beauty of these coincidences... so, see you soon!

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home